A short while back, I visited a Japanese bathhouse in the hills near Lithgow in NSW.
It was billed as a uniquely tranquil experience. High in the hills, overlooking a valley, lazing in the network of peaceful hot springs was to be the perfect way to unwind. We were going to disconnect from screens, and reconnect with nature. We were under strict instruction to keep voices low while we moved around the bath house, so as not to spoil the enjoyment of our fellow bathers.
As we arrived in the car park, a posse of gorgeous young bikini-clad things spilled out of a Jeep. They were already filming each other before they reached the front door.
Over the course of the next two hours they posed and shrieked and splashed and recorded every pout via selfie-stick. I was riveted. It was like watching terrible reality television. I knew it was bad, but I couldn’t look away.
It’s why Instagram accounts like Influencers in the Wild are so successful – there is something so gobsmacking about people who put their desperation for good content over the comfort and enjoyment of the people around them.
So let us have a delicious time and marvel at a collection of times where influencers behaved like twits on tour …
- You’re tired. Your plane was delayed taking off. You’re running late for your airport pick-up. Imagine trying to get off the plane when you’ve finally reached your destination and being held up by this …
2. ‘What’s that? You paid good money to see a show? Too bad, tonight you’ll be watching me.’
3. Want to make your fellow beachgoers feel uncomfortable? Force your child to take provocative photos of you.
4. This feels incredibly unsafe, on so many levels. Boy it would be amazing if that train just pulled away from the station …
5. Beware of influencers next time you’re sailing down your favourite ski run.
6. Pretending you’re more of a high flyer than you are? Classic influencer move.
7. It’s also deeply uncomfortable when you see one of your countrymen (or women) totally disrespecting another culture or religion in the name of likes.
8. Hope you weren’t coming to the gallery to try and view the artworks.
9. That time your trip on a private yacht in the Mediterranean was cut short because somebody needed to be whisked off to emergency … this is why you don’t drink and dive, people.
10. Hope nobody is running late for their flight and actually needs to use that walk way.
11. Let us not forget the time a travel influencer decided to post pictures of her motorcycle “accident” on Instagram, and claimed that the Smartwater featured in one of the photos wasn’t a brand endorsement. Many of her followers found the “accident” and the fact a professional photographer was there snapping the event, and a ridiculously handsome stranger came to her rescue a little … dubious.