The Premier League and the so-called ‘Big Six’ were reportedly close to an agreement on the punishment for the European Super League debacle late on Tuesday night.
Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham all pulled out of the controversial breakaway plans within days of them being announced, following a furious backlash from across the football world.
Protests were held outside the grounds of the clubs involved after the European Super League (ESL) was announced back in April, with the reaction from fans sparking a U-turn from the English clubs.
They will face punishment for their involvement in the plans – but it will be in the form of fines rather than points deductions, according to the Daily Mail.
The publication says there have been ‘heated discussions’ over the size of the likely fines, and about where the money should go.
It is claimed that the Big Six wanted a punishment similar to that dished out by UEFA last month – which saw each fined around £1.5million, with the money going to children’s and grassroots football across the continent.
The clubs also agreed to lose five per cent of the revenues they would have received from European club competitions for one campaigning – amounting to a further £3.5m to £5.5m.
And the Big Six are reportedly hoping for a similar punishment from the Premier League, with the fines going to community causes rather than rival clubs.
Some clubs are said to be pushing for harsher punishments, but talks are ongoing aimed at securing a compromise, after a source said the ‘fraught process’ had previously been on the verge of collapse.