Rafael Devers is hoping to remain with the Boston Red Sox for years to come.
The All-Star third baseman will receive his first significant contract at the MLB level in the near future, and if he has his way, his next deal will be with the Red Sox.
“I grew up a Boston fan and I signed with Boston so I would like to stay,” Devers told reporters in Denver on Monday through translator Marly Rivera of ESPN, according to MassLive.
“I love Boston. It’s a beautiful city. The best part is the weather right now. Not only that … the fans are awesome. It doesn’t matter what team we play. They always show up to support us at Fenway. So it’s pretty cool.”
Devers is eligible for free agency after the 2023 season. The 24-year-old said earlier this year that he’s open to contract discussions “when it’s right to have them.”
The Dominican native is in the midst of one of his best seasons in the league, hitting .282/.350/.564 with 22 home runs and 72 RBI in 87 games. His performance has helped propel the Red Sox to first in the AL East with a 55-36 record.
Devers has also received praise from some of the best players in the majors, including San Diego Padres shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr., who said Monday that the Red Sox slugger is one of the guys that has “changed the game.”
If Devers continues to shine, his next contract with the Red Sox should be a large one, especially given the team’s success this season.