Capacity crowds will be allowed at Wimbledon’s two biggest courts from the quarter-finals through to the end of the tournament, with COVID-19 attendance restrictions set to be relaxed at the All England Club.
- British outdoor sporting stadiums have not been at full capacity since March last year.
- Centre Court can hold up to 14,979 people, while No. 1 Court’s capacity is 12,345
- The quarter-finals are scheduled to begin tonight AEST
Attendances have been capped at 50 per cent on Centre Court and No. 1 Court since the start of the grand slam last Monday.
But the All England Club said full crowds would be allowed from the quarter-finals, starting later tonight AEST, after “the successful staging of the first week of the championships”.
Wimbledon is being used as a pilot event for the safe return of crowds as part of the UK government’s Events Research Programme.
British outdoor sporting stadiums have not been at full capacity since the COVID-19 pandemic shut down sports in the country in March last year.
Wimbledon was cancelled last year because of the pandemic, the first time in 75 years that the oldest grand slam was not held.
The women’s final is scheduled for Saturday evening AEST, with the men’s final a day later.
Before the tournament began, the club had said it would be able to allow full crowds only for the two singles finals.
The number of fans allowed around the rest of the site “will be reduced according to the number of courts in play,” the club said.
Spectators still need to show proof that they have tested negative in the previous 48 hours, or are fully vaccinated against coronavirus.